Thursday, March 15, 2012

Rhetoric of Social Media


For the millions of users on Facebook and Twitter, It is a commonplace to share and express their ideas through words, images, tweets, etc.  However, how credible is social media and how much information should we put out there for others to see?  Social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter use the Internet and once something is on the Internet it stays out there forever.  I remember in high school when I disabled my Facebook for a while because I just didn't want someone, somewhere keeping tabs on me, but then I realized in a Google search something.  It still was the case.  Even though I closed my Facebook I found all the info I had public on there on a Google search.  My first impressions were great.  That is quite reassuring.  Then I did more searching on Google.  There were county swim records there, honor roll mentions, and even articles on other random things I had forgotten about.  So I came to the conclusion that I might as well be like everyone and have one to use as a form of communication.  I thought it really did not matter whether I had one or not because my stuff was already out there.  That was close to four years ago when social media was just starting to get hot.  Nowadays on Facebook there is that timeline shit.  I refused to get that crap until about 3 weeks ago when Facebook forced me to.  I don't know how that came to be because there are plenty that still do not have it, but one day it said “make changes to your timeline before it goes public in 5 days.”  Anyways now with that it is even harder to delete posts and stuff.  Whatever is there is meant to stay.  The thought of that is scary folks.  Wow I just checked out things on my timeline from prior years and there are things I remember deleting that are coming up.  Social Media is pretty shady and with all that information in the wrong hands that cannot be good.  It is a good thing I keep Facebook clean, but you have to feel sorry for others.  I am referring to those that put things out there that they do not want potential employers to see.

3 comments:

  1. I feel much happier now that I am not on Facebook. I just tried to google search myself and luckily nothing came up except a profile on Linkedin. Unfortunately, social media is more important than ever. People's right to privacy is just about dead, considering that if you use a smartphone you can basically be located anywhere in the world, whether by a company or a government. Suprisingly, people voluntarily give this information up without even knowing it. Anytime your phone asks you if they can use your location to give you a better result, you are consenting to letting a company know your exact location.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it is scary to think about how much personal information is on the internet for everyone to see. I agree that although we shouldn't stop using social media, that we should try to keep it as "clean" as possible and try to remember that nothing can be permanetaly deleted. I think people are way too willing to give up their personal information for the convenience of having a smart phone or an easy way to connect to friends and family. It's a win loose situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you. The new ways that social media websites are developing is a bit scary. Sometimes people put on things onto these websites thinking no one will ever come across them but it's scary how all the things you put on these websites always stays there. These sites are just becoming another type of way for the world to keep complete tabs on ones' life.

    ReplyDelete